A locally-bred pair of singer-songwriters will take to the Oakland County stage this weekend.
West Bloomfield-raised Phillip-Michael Scales, now an alumnus of Nashville-based Roeper School, will be performing his brand new single “Better Than You” and more at Otus Supply’s Capitol on Friday, January 3. I will return to Japan to 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. 7:00 pm 248-291-6160 or at otussupply.com.
On Saturday, February 4th, Rochester’s Ohly will perform with Nate Frederick and the Wholesome Boys at 8pm at 20 Front Street, Lake Orion. Ohly plans to release her one single in six months from March, and an album in August or September. 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
Other notable music events this weekend (all subject to change) include:
• The Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s Music Director Laureate will once again conduct Stravinsky, Bartok and Graham for three concerts February 3-4 at the Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Avenue, Detroit. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• R&B veteran Jeffrey Osborne will sing on the sound board at the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Avenue, Detroit, on Friday, February 3rd at 8pm. $72 and up. 800-745-3000 or soundboarddetroit.com.
• Americana singer-songwriter Parker McCollum will take the stage on Friday, February 3 at 7:30 PM at 2115 Woodward Avenue, Fillmore Detroit.
• Trews will head south from Nova Scotia and rock at Saint Andrew’s Hall at E. Congress St. 431 in Detroit on Friday, February 3rd. Doors at 7pm. 313-961-8961 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Intocable takes Tejano and Nortena styles north to perform on Friday, February 3 at the Royal Oak Music Theater, 318 W. Fourth St. Doors, 7:00 pm 248-399-2980, royaloakmusictheatre.com.
• World of Musical presents a theatrical best performance on Friday, February 3 at 7:30 PM at the Macomb Center, 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township. 586-286-2222 or macombcenter.com.
• Indie rock artists Adam Melchor and Ally Evenson will perform at the Magic Stick at 4120 Detroit Woodward Ave. on Friday, February 3rd. 7:00 pm 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• The Chris Kurzawa Group will pay tribute to Frank Zappa on Friday, February 3 at 8:30 PM at the Cadw Cafe, 4300 Cadw Road, Detroit. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Pianist Zen Zadravec is staying at the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe (97 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe) until Saturday, February 4th. 313-882-5299 or dirtydogjazz.com.
• Easy Beach, Pia the Band and Clipboards will meet at Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale, on Friday, February 3rd. 7:00 pm 248-546-3696 or at thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• The Ark are back from the 46th Annual Ann Arbor Folk Festival with a weekend-long show at their regular headquarters. “The Voice” finalist Rais Al-Saadi on guitar at 7:30pm on Sunday, February 5th. 316 S. Main St. 313-761-1818 or theark.org
• Fitz and the Tantrums applaud at Saint Andrew’s Hall at E. Congress St. 431, Detroit, Saturday, February 4th. Doors at 7pm. 313-961-8961 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Mystik Fool will perform its self-described “edgy, cool, beautiful, wild music” as part of the four-artist bill at the Capitol, 345 Ferndale E. Nine Mile Road, Otus Supply, Saturday, February 4. show off. 7:00 pm 248-291-6160 or at otussupply.com.
• On Saturday, February 4th, a tribute band trio will pay tribute to J. Giles Band (Laputa), Tom Petty (Petty Sieves) and Foreigner (Argent) at the Token Lounge, Joy Road 28949, Westland. 7:00 PM 734-513-5030 or visit tokenlounge.com.
• Two more tribute bands, Dirt (Alice in Chains) and Re-TooLed (Tool), will perform at the Diesel Concert Lounge (33151 23 Mile Road, Chesterfield Township) on Saturday, February 4th. 7:00 pm 586-933-3503 or visit Dieselconcerts.com.
• Heavy rock group ScapeGoat will celebrate the release of their new album on Saturday, February 4th at Sanctuary Detroit, Caniff, Hamtramick 2932. Mafia Birdhouse, Illusions of Fate and At Water are also on the bill. 7:00 pm 313-462-4117 or visit sanctuarydetroit.com.
• San Diego’s indie pop group will play most Mondays, Saturday, February 4th, at the El Club at 4114 W. Vernor Highway, Detroit. Doors open at 7pm at elclubdetroit.com.
• The Polish Muslims, Rich Rat Pack, David Beirman Overdrive, See Dick Run is MikeyPalooza, a fundraiser for Michael Karwowski, the youngest song of ex-Hamtramck club owner Lili Krawowski, who is battling stage 4 esophageal cancer. played as part of The show takes place on Saturday, February 4th at 6pm at the New Dodge Lounge at his 8850 Joseph Campau Ave. in Hamtramck. 313-638-1508 or thenewdodgelounge.com.
• The Civic Youth Ensembles will host its second Experience Concert of the season on Sunday, February 5 at 1:00 PM at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Avenue, Detroit. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• UK Rockers Charlatans and Ryde, Sunday, February 4, Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Avenue, 6:00 pm 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Carl Thomas and Case will spend a soulful Sunday night at the Sound Board at the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Avenue, Detroit, on February 5th at 8pm. $72 and up. 800-745-3000 or soundboarddetroit.com.
• Luther Keith will be playing the blues on Sunday, February 4th at 7pm at the Cadw Cafe, 4300 Cudw Road, Detroit. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.