Atlanta — A prominent music industry executive, current city council member and fiancée of hip-hop superstar Young Thug are all targeting alleged members of the Young Slime Life Gang, which will start this month. You may be called to testify during a major gang prosecution.
Atlanta rapper Young Thug (real name Jeffrey Williams) is one of 14 defendants scheduled to be indicted on RICO conspiracy charges on January 9.
The indictment initially charged 28 defendants, but eight have since entered into a plea bargain, and the remaining six, who either have no lawyers or are fugitives, will be tried separately.
Prosecutors allege Williams was one of the founders of YSL, or Young Slime Life, a criminal street gang accused of committing violent crimes, including murder and armed robbery, from 2013 to 2022. I’m here.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Defense attorneys allege that YSL is a clothing company and record label, also known as Young Stoner Life, and argue that this claim is false.
On Tuesday, Channel 2’s Michael Seiden obtained a list of 28 potential witnesses who could provide testimony during the trial, which is expected to last six to nine months.
Here are some of the most recognizable names on the list.
- Michael Render aka Atlanta rapper Killer Mike
- Kevin Liles, co-founder of Young Stoner Life records and currently 300 ENT COE
- Lyor Cohen, Global Head of Music at YouTube
- Atlanta City Councilman Antonio Ruiz
- Corey Jackson aka rapper Lil C-Note and Young Thug’s protégé
- Jerika Curley, Williams’ fiancée since 2015
- Young Thug’s father, Jeffrey Williams
- Attorney Ashley Merchant, a criminal defense attorney hired by Ross Harris, was accused of heatstroke in his son Cooper. And Ryan Duke is one of the men charged with the murder of South Georgia beauty Tara Grinstead.
Several professors who are experts in hip-hop are also included in the proposed list of witnesses.
Defense filings also state that any of the co-defendants named in the original indictment may be asked to testify during the trial.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin on Tuesday before Judge Ural Granville.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
©2022 Cox Media Group